Prevention of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections:
- Research on the determinants and dynamics of HIV infection.
- Planning, development and prevention and control strategies including field based prevention & intervention research to reduce transmission of HIV.
- Research aimed at development and testing of new biomedical prevention strategies including vaccines, vaginal microbicides, treatment as prevention,
- Research on behavioural interventions
Treatment and Care for HIV infected:
- Clinical research and therapeutic trials including management of opportunistic infections and other HIV associated diseases and studies on anti-retroviral drugs for management of HIV disease in India.
- Research on Opportunistic Infections and non infectious co-morbities
- In vitro screening of new entitites for anti-HIV activity.
- Diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis in HIV infected
Generating New information on HIV biology in context with Indian Epidemic:
- Establishing repository of HIV virus strains isolated from different parts of the country
- Molecular and virological Characterization of Indian HIV strains
- Adaptive and innate immune response in HIV infection
- Role of Host genetic factors in HIV disease
Conducting research complementing needs of National AIDS Control Programme:
- Capacity Building