Work Experience :
Working as Scientist ‘E’ at National AIDS Research Institute, Pune. Joined as Scientist ‘’C in Feb2009
- In-charge, Division of Molecular Biology.
- Conservation pattern of existing and new targets of drugs in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Whole genome sequencing based approach to find mechanism of drug resistance in M.tb.
- Metagenomic analysis of patient samples for screening and impact assessment of microbial populations.
- Molecular diagnostics of AIDS related infections.
Post Doctoral Fellow at Computational Structural Biology, Vanderbilt University. May 2012-August 2012.
- Fogarty international postdoctoral fellowship for short term training.
- Protein structural biology and docking.
Worked as Post Doctoral Fellow at Institute of Life Sciences, Hyderabad. June 2007-Jan2009
- New drug discovery and vaccine development against tuberculosis.
- Anticancer compound screening using various cell lines.
- Screening antiinfective agents using various bacterial pathogens.
- Screening newer targets for antibacterial drug design.
Assistant Professor: College of Life Sciences, CHRI, Gwalior Nov 2006-Apr2007
- Assistant Professor, Biotechnology at College of life Sciences, Cancer Hospital and Research Institute, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Taught Biotechnology to B.Sc and M.Sc students and guided a few dissertations.
Senior Research Fellow at Defence R & D Establishment: Nov 2004-Nov 2006
- Developed an ELISA based diagnostic system for enterotoxin B.
- Superantigenicity alleviation of enterotoxin B through site-directed mutagenesis.
Junior Research Fellow at Defence R & D Establishment: Nov.2002- Nov2004.
- Characterized a large number of environmental and clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus and Vibrio cholerae.
- Cloning and expression of enterotoxin B gene.
- Optimized methods for purification of native and recombinant enterotoxin B.
- Generation of antibodies in laboratory animals.
Research Scholar at Dept. of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Dr. H.S. Gour University Sagar: Nov 2001 to Oct 2002.
- Screening of fungi for the isolation of species producing pharmaceutically important polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Taught various topics of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology to post-graduate students.
Trainee at TERI, The Energy and Resources Institute (Formerly: Tata Energy Research Institute): July – Aug. 2000.
- Microbial degradation of chlorinated pesticide-Endosulfan. A bacterial consortium was developed for the degradation of endosulfan to its non-toxic components.
List of Publications:
- Sushama Jadhav, Vijay Nema, "HIV-Associated Neurotoxicity: The Interplay of Host and Viral Proteins", Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2021, Article ID 1267041, 11 pages, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/1267041 (IF:4.71)
- Waghmode R, Jadhav S and Nema V* (2021) The Burden of Respiratory Viruses and Its Prevalence in Different Geographical Regions of India: 1970–2020. Front. Microbiol. 12:723850. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2021.723850 (IF: 5.64)
- Sharvari Jyotiram Devkar, Vinod Dattarao Patange and Vijay Nema (2021) Atropine: A new perspective on prophylactic and therapeutic management of COVID-19. Radiol Diagn Imaging 4 DOI: 10.15761/RDI.1000171. (IF:1.03)
- Pankaj Shrivastava, Toshi Jain, Vijay Nema, Mahendra K. Gupta, Naveen Kango, Pradeep K. Singhal, Gyaneshwer Chaubey, R.K. Kumawat, Can alcohol kill harmful microbes from our skin?, Gene Reports, Volume 24, 2021, 101207, ISSN 2452-0144, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genrep.2021.101207. (IF:3.68)
- Hari Om Singh, Kamini Jakhar, Vijay Nema, Asha Krishnaraj and Ranjana Choudhari, “Effect of miRNAs, proinflammatory cytokines and ACE2 in COVID-19 pathophysiology”, Coronaviruses (2021) 2: 1. https://doi.org/10.2174/2666796702666210303114330
- Dubey A, Singh V, Doharey PK, Sk MP, Samanta SK, Nema V, Sharma B, Varadwaj PK, Sahoo AK. Modulating catalytic activity of human topoisomerase II α enzyme by fluorescent gold nanoclusters. Int J Biol Macromol. 2021 Feb 15;170:523-531. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.12.129. Epub 2020 Dec 30. PMID: 33387542. (IF=5.16)
- Singh H, Choudhari R, Nema V, Khan AA. ACE2 and TMPRSS2 polymorphisms in various diseases with special reference to its impact on COVID-19 disease. Microb Pathog. 2021 Jan;150:104621. doi: 10.1016/j.micpath.2020.104621. Epub 2020 Dec 2. PMID: 33278516; PMCID: PMC7709597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2020.104621(IF=2.9)
- Khan AA, Nema V, Khan Z. Current status of probiotics for prevention and management of gastrointestinal cancers. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2021 Mar;21(3):413-422. doi: 10.1080/14712598.2021.1828858. Epub 2020 Oct 9. PMID: 33034210. (IF=3.224)
- Nema V. (2020) Utility and Possibility of Next-Generation Sequencing in Forensic DNA Typing. In: Shrivastava P., Dash H.R., Lorente J.A., Imam J. (eds) Forensic DNA Typing: Principles, Applications and Advancements. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-6655-4_24
- Gupta, A., Sinha, P., Nema, V. et al. Detection of Beijing strains of MDR M. tuberculosis and their association with drug resistance mutations in katG, rpoB, and embB genes. BMC Infect Dis 20, 752 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-020-05479-5 (IF=2.688)
- Jadhav S. & Nema V*. Analysis of genetic diversity of HIV-1 nef gene from individuals with HIV associated dementia. BMC infectious diseases. May 2020 Vol. 20 Suppl. 1 ISSHID Abstract-144. https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05038-y (IF=2.565)
- Gupta A, Sinha P, Rathod S, Shanmugam SK, Uma Devi K R, Anupurba S, Nema V*. Genotype analysis of ofloxacin-resistant multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in a multicentered study from India. Indian J Med Res 2020;151:361-70 (IF=1.251)
- Vijay Nema. The Role and Future Possibilities of Next-Generation Sequencing in Studying Microbial Diversity, Editor(s): Surajit Das, Hirak Ranjan Dash, Microbial Diversity in the Genomic Era, Academic Press, 2019, Pages 611-630, ISBN 9780128148495, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-814849-5.00034-4
- Nema V. Microbial Forensics: Beyond a Fascination. In: Dash H., Shrivastava P., Mohapatra B., Das S. (eds) DNA Fingerprinting: Advancements and Future Endeavors. Springer, Singapore. 2018, Pages 295-306, ISBN 978-981-13-1582-4, https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-13-1583-1_17
- Nema V., Dhas Y., Banerjee J., Mishra N. Phytochemicals: An Alternate Approach Towards Various Disease Management. In: Rani V., Yadav U. (eds) Functional Food and Human Health. Springer, Singapore. 2018, Pages 623-653, ISBN 978-981-13-1122-2, https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-13-1123-9_27
- HariOm Singh, Dharmesh Samani, Vijay Nema, Manisha V. Ghate, and R. R. Gangakhedkar, “IL-1RN and IL-1β Polymorphism and ARV-Associated Hepatotoxicity,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2018, Article ID 4398150, 13 pages, 2018. doi:10.1155/2018/4398150 (IF 3.54)
- Sudhir Kumar Pal, Sanjit Kumar, Vijay Nema*. In silico Structural and dynamical characterization of Probable arabinosyl transferase B (EmbB) mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. 2017. Journal of proteins and proteomics, Vol 8, JPP78, P133. (Abstract publication)
- Jain T, Nema V. Gupta M.K., Kango N., Dash H.R., Shrivastava P. Molecular characterization of selected bacterial flora from forensic case exhibits. Rom J Leg Med. 2017. 25:244-250 (IF 0.32)
- Nema V. Gut flora and its impact on pathogenesis of various studies. Satyalakshmi K, Pradeep M.K, Salwa H (eds.) Text book on Clinical Naturopathy and Yoga. National Institute of Naturopathy, India. 2017:737. ISBN9788193467206
- Gupta A, Pal SK, Pandey D, Fakir NA, Rathod S, Sinha D, SivaKumar S, Sinha P, Periera M, Balgam S, Sekar G, UmaDevi KR, Anupurba S, Nema V*. PknB remains an essential and a conserved target for drug development in susceptible and MDR strains of M. Tuberculosis. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2017 Aug 18;16(1):56 (IF 3.92)
- Singh H, Marathe SD, Nain S, Samani D, Nema V, Ghate MV, Gangakhedkar RR. Promoter polymorphism MMP-1 (-1607 2G/1G) and MMP-3 (-1612 5A/6A) in development of HAND and modulation of pathogenesis of HAND. J Biosciences. 2017 Sept; 42(3): 481-490 (IF 1.82)
- Banerjee J, Nema V, Dhas Y, Mishra N. Role of MicroRNAs in Type 2 Diabetes and Associated Vascular Complications. Biochimie. 2017 Aug;139:9-19 (IF 3.36)
- Vijay Nema* and Hari Om Singh (2017) Host Pharmacogenomics: to be Remembered while Planning a Cure for HIV. BAOJ Hiv 3: 022.
- Singh H, Lata S, Nema V, Samani D, Ghate M, Gangakhedkar RR. CYP1A1m1 and CYP2C9*2 and *3 polymorphism and risk to develop ARV-associated hepatotoxicity and its severity. APMIS. 2017 Jun;125(6):523-535 (IF 2.225)
- Gupta A, Nema V (2017) Imminent Weapons in the Field of Tuberculosis Diagnostics and Management. J intern Med Prim Healthcare 2: 005
- Singh HO, Lata S, Angadi M, Bapat S, Pawar J, Nema V, Ghate MV, Sahay S, Gangakhedkar RR. Impact of GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1 gene polymorphism and risk of ARV-associated hepatotoxicity in HIV-infected individuals and its modulation. Pharmacogenomics J. 2017 Jan;17(1):53-60 (IF: 3.503)
- Vaidya KA, Kadam AV and Nema V*. Anti-Retroviral Drugs for HIV: Old and New. Austin J HIV/AIDS Res. 2016; 3(2): 1026.
- Sushama Jadhav and Vijay Nema*. (2016); A review on challenges in the development of multiplex assay for quantitative estimation of viral pathogens Int. J. of Adv. Res. 4 (9). 1102-1110 (IF: 5.336)
- Anamika Gupta, Vijay Nema and Shampa Anupurba. Detection of Beijing genotype of MDR M. tuberculosis by targeting Rv2820 gene and their association with drug resistance mutations in katG, rpoB and embB, J Infect Dis Ther 2016, 4:4(Suppl)
- Singh H, Marathe SD, Nema V, Ghate MV, Gangakhedkar RR. Genetic variation of MMP-2(-735 C>T) and MMP-9(-1562 C>T) gene in risk of development of HAND and severity of HAND. J Gene Med. 2016 Sep;18(9):250-7 (IF 1.56)
- Singh H, Marathe SD, Nain S, Nema V, Ghate MV, Gangakhedkar RR. APOBEC3B deletion impacts on susceptibility to acquire HIV-1 and its advancement among individuals in western India. APMIS. 2016 Oct;124(10):881-7 (IF 2.225)
- Singh H, Marathe S, Nain S, Nema V, Angadi M, Bapat S, Pawar J, Ghate M, Sahay S, Gangakhedkar RR. Coding region variant 186H/R in Exon 4 of APOBEC3G among individuals of Western India. APMIS. 2016 May;124(5):401-5. doi: 10.1111/apm.12517 . (IF 2.225)
- Kundapur R. R. & Nema V*. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification: Beyond microbial identification. Cogent Biology (2016), 2: 1137110 (citations till Jan19=8)
- Vijay Nema (2015) Current Trends in AIDS Research. J Aids Trails 1: 100101
- Rajesh R Kundapur and Vijay Nema* (2015); An economical and efficient method of post reaction cleanup of labeled dye terminator sequencing products Int. J. of Adv. Res. 3 (6). 787-791(IF: 5.336)
- Nema (2015). Now we care to cure HIV. Editorial for Clinical Microbiology and Case Reports. Volume 1, Issue 2. 014e Available at http://scientonline.org/fulltext/now-we-care-to-cure-hiv/21158
- Nema V. Microbiome, Immunity and HIV infection: is there a Link?. Austin J HIV/AIDS Res. 2014;1(1): 2. (IF: NA)
- Vijay Nema. Gut Metagenomics. Asiatic J Biotechnology Resource 2014, MDIMCE Vol 4, Issue 3. (Publication of abstract under seminar proceedings in special issue). IF 0.9
- Nema V, Nair R. Metagenomic analysis of diarrheal stool samples of HIV infected individual and HIV-uninfected individual using 16SrDNA sequencing. Indian J Med Microbiol 2014;32:347-8 IF.095
- VijayNema. Gut not only feels but also speaks! J Microb Biochem Technol 2013, 5:4. (Publication of abstract under conference proceedings). IF: 2.5 (Unofficial)
- Nema V., Pal S. K. Exploration of freely available web-interfaces for comparative homology modelling of microbial proteins. Bioinformation 9(15): 796-801 (2013) PMID: 24023424. IF 0.6; citations till May17=6
- Nema V. Tuberculosis Diagnosis: Hurdles and Hopes. Online Publication available at http://www.siicsalud.com/dato/croin.php/132842 IF 0.018
- Rao G, Das A, Prabhakar P, Nema V, Risbud A R. Alteration in sample preparation to increase the yield of multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction assay for diagnosis of genital ulcer disease. Indian J Med Microbiol 2013;31:15-8 PMID: 23508423 IF 1.04; 2 cites
- Nema V. Rectification of artificial molecular recombination with the use of high fidelity enzyme in the amplification of 16S rDNA sequences from Stool sample. 2012. All Res. J. Biol., 2012, 3, 6-9. IF:1 (unofficial)
- Nema V. Tuberculosis diagnostics: Challenges and opportunities. Lung India 2012; 29:259-66. PMID: 22919166. IF nil (Popular article; citations till May17=8)
- Nema, V., Agrawal, R., Kamboj, D.V., Goel, A.K. and Singh, L. Isolation and characterization of enterotoxigenic heat resistant Staphylococcus aureus from a food poisoning outbreak in Indian subcontinent. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2007,117, 29-35. PMID: 17477998. IF 4.006; citations till May17=57
- Kamboj, D.V., Nema, V., Pandey, A. K., Goel, A.K. and Singh, L. Heterologous expression of Staphylococcal enterotoxin B (seb) gene for antibody production. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology [online]. Vol. 9 No. 5, Issue of October 15, 2006. Available at: http://www.ejbiotechnology.info/index.php/ejbiotechnology/article/view/v9n5-8/400. IF 2.040; citations till May17=11
- Goel, A.K., Tamrakar, A.K., Nema, V., Kamboj, D.V. and Singh, L. Detection of viable toxigenic Vibrio cholerae from environmental water sources by direct cell duplex PCR assay. World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology, 2005. 21: 973–976. IF 2.652; citations till May17=25
- Vijay Nema. आंतरिक सूक्ष्मजीवी और हमारा स्वास्थ्य. Article published in Nisargopchar Varta, May 2018. A semi scientific magazine published by National Institute of Naturopathy.
- Vijay Nema. HIV पर नियंत्रण:एक साझा प्रयास. Published in ICMR Patrika. Dec 2017. http://icmr.nic.in/bulletin/hindi/2017/ICMR%20Patrika%20December%202017.pdf
- Pradeep MK Nair, Hyndavi Salwa, Satyalakshmi K, Vijay Nema, R.K.Mutatkar. A position paper of Yoga and Naturopathy in India Report from National Naturopathy Conclave. Published from National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune, 2017.
- Publication of a semi-scientific article in Hindi entitled “क्या HIV का अंत निकट है?” in annual magazine of CCMB, Hyderabad, 2016, Issue 14, Page 15-17.
Publications in NARI Bulletin (ISSN 2278-6694)
- Nema V. HIV-TB: What is required and where we are? NARI Bulletin. 2015, 6 (2), 4.
- Nema V. It takes two to tango. Editor’s Pick. NARI Bulletin. 2014, 5 (1&2), 4.
- Pandey D., Fakir NA, Nema V*. TMC 207, the first compound of a novel class of anti tuberculosis drugs in four decades. NARI Bulletin. 2013, 4(2), 8-9.
- Nema V. Tuberculosis: A challenge and a priority. NARI Bulletin. 2013, 4(1), 7-10.
- Nema V. Hopes at the horizon. Editor’s pick in NARI Bulletin. 2012, 3(3), 11.
- Nema V. ‘Totally Drug Resistant' tuberculosis. NARI Bulletin. 2012, 3(1), 13-14.
Patent awarded: Kamboj, D.V, Nema, V., Singh L., Krishanamurthy S., Goel, A. K. Process for the purification of single polypeptide chain protein. Application No: 2575/DEL/2007; Patent no. 284404. Application filed on: 07/12/2007; Date of grant: 21/06/2017.
Sequence submissions (220)
- 2020: MT337374 to MT337383 (10)
- 2018: MH758564……MH758691 (128)
- 2017: KY292404; KY569425; KY569426; KY569427; KY569428; KY569429; KY569430; KY569431; KY569432; KY569433; KY569434; KY569435; KY575123; KY575124; KY575125; KY575126; KY575127; KY575128; KY575129; KY575130; KY575131; KY575132; KY575133; KY575134; KY575135; KY575136; KY575137; KY575138; KY575139; KY575140; KY575141; KY575142
- 2016: Genbank KX029321; KX813816; KX813817; KX813818; KX813819; KX813820; KX813821; KX813822; KX813823; KX813824
- 2015: GenBank- KT906373; KT906675; KT906676; KT906677; KT906678; KT906679; KT906680; KT906681; KT906682; KT906683; KT906684; KT906685; KT906686; KT906687; KT906688; KT906689
- 2012: GenBank JQ627622; JQ627623; JQ627624
- 2010: GenBank HQ318717, HQ318718, HQ318719
- 2006:GenBank- DQ997828, DQ997829, DQ997830, DQ997831, DQ997832, DQ997833, DQ997834, DQ997835, DQ997836, DQ997837, DQ535901, DQ535902, DQ630750, DQ630751, DQ630752, DQ630753,.
- 2005: EMBL-EBI- AM158256,
- 2004: GenBankAY852244